According to Administrative Regulations of Institutions of Higher Education on Accepting Foreign Students (Decree No.42 of the Ministry of Education in 2017), Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Academic Degrees, Provisional Measures for Implementation of the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Academic Degrees, and based on the actual situation of China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research (IWHR), this doctoral program is formulated to enhance the internationalization of graduate education at IWHR and ensure its quality of graduate education.
The doctoral program is aimed at cultivating high-level scientists and technicians who have comprehensive fundamental knowledge and theory of hydraulic engineering, are capable of getting a deep insight into the history, current status and development trend of hydraulic engineering, and have a broad international horizon, strict scientific thinking, as well as honest and team-work spirits. The program also aims to train high-level researchers who have the ability to work independently in the scientific research, make creative achievements and carry out scientific research and academic exchange through English.
The duration of study for the doctoral program is at least 3 years (6 semesters) and no more than 4 years (8 semesters).
The doctoral program in English for international students includes the following research directions:
1. Geotechnical Engineering (081401)
2. Hydrology and Water Resources (081501)
3. Hydraulics and River Dynamics (081502)
4. Hydraulic Structure Engineering (081503)
5. Hydraulic and Hydropower Engineering (081504)
6. Hydro-Environment (0815Z1)
7. Hydroinformatics (0815Z2)
8. Water Disaster and Security (0815Z3)
The research plans of international students pursuing doctoral degrees at IWHR are formulated by discussion between the students and their supervisors. The Form of Research Plan of International Students (PhD Candidates), shall be filled out by a student under his or her supervisor’s guidance, signed by his or her supervisor, approved by the director of the research department or center where the student is studying, and then kept on record for reference in the office of international student affairs of IWHR Graduate School.
The teaching language of the doctoral program for international students is English. The courses are divided into two main categories: compulsory courses and optional courses, the specific contents of which are shown in Courses for International Students (PhD candidates). The two courses, Chinese Language and Introduction to China, are compulsory for the international students who pursue academic degrees. The international students who have reached Level 4 of HSK test can be exempted from taking the course of English Language. Each of the PhD candidates is required to get 20 credits at least for graduation.
1. When applying for doctoral degrees, PhD candidates whose native language is English must submit at least 2 academic papers related to their dissertations, which have been published during their academic studies in the domestic core journals of science and technology or international academic journals (including the proceedings of ISTP international conference). At least one of the papers is included by SCI.
2. When applying for doctoral degrees, PhD candidates whose native language is not English must publish academic papers that meet one of following requirements: (i) At least two of the published papers are included by EI; (ii) One is included by EI and two are published in the domestic core journals of science and technology or international academic journals (including the proceedings of ISTP international conferences); (iii) Three are published in the domestic core journals of science and technology or international academic journals (including the proceedings of ISTP international conferences).
1. The dissertation-related academic activities that a PhD candidate must be involved in includes dissertation proposal, mid-term assessment, dissertation review, and dissertation defense.
2. The dissertation abstract must be written both in Chinese and English.
3. The dissertation defense must meet the requirements set down in Regulation of China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research on Dissertation Defenses of Ph.D. Candidates.
Conferment of doctoral degree